I do it one at a time also....did the last half of the board all at once and all most flipped out when the TB III started to film over.... I will stick to one at a time..well 2 at a time after the first one in the center.. ; )
Post by claytonplunkett on Aug 4, 2012 16:53:34 GMT -5
I have been working on the deck a little bit more and here is an update picture.
Vilanobeachsurf asked if I was going to use tabs at the ribs. I think I will glass the under side of the deck. The deck is 3/16 strips and sanding will bring that down little more. So to be sure a foot doesn't go through I have some 3.2 oz glass for the underside. If I am careful not to use too much epoxy it will add maybe pound or 2. But when my kids fall on their butt playing on it maybe it wont smash the deck.
Post by claytonplunkett on Aug 6, 2012 9:23:48 GMT -5
Well I got busy this weekend and finished the deck stripping. I then sanded the deck through 120 grit and removed the deck and frame from the build table. Then I turned it over and rough sanded the deck underside with 80 grit to smooth it up for glass. I cut the 3.2 oz glass between the ribs and spine. When it was all set out I wet the glass out with Raka UV inhibited epoxy and squeegeed all the excess epoxy off to keep the weight low as possible with glass on the underside of the deck. Next I rip my Balsa and Paulownia for the bottom and rails.
Post by claytonplunkett on Aug 6, 2012 9:33:41 GMT -5
You asked if I planed the strip edges. I didn't need to they fit very tight untill the very last 1 or 2 strips at the edge. I then used a small thumb plane and just lightly hit the edge and put the slightest of a bevel on the last strip or 2.
Here is a pic of the deck sanded, sorry for the fuzzy picture quality.
Post by claytonplunkett on Aug 10, 2012 7:47:45 GMT -5
I'm back with an update. The Balsa blocks have been glued in for the fin and 1/4 X 1/4 balsa strips were glued to the rib edges for gluing tabs. That was a good move because the square tabs make a good clamping place for strip gluing. So now I ripped my Paulownia wood into strips and started the bottom strips yesterday. The picture is after a good start on the bottom strips. Hoping to get the bottom striped this weekend.
Post by claytonplunkett on Aug 14, 2012 7:54:16 GMT -5
Here is the bottom all striped and ready to trim the edges. The Paulownia is great wood to work with. I kept the bottom very simple with just a little pin stripe in the center. There is just enough Paulowina left over now to build my fin from it. Next I riped some balsa into strips for the hollow rails and started gluing up my paddle. More rail pictures coming soon.
Post by claytonplunkett on Aug 23, 2012 9:24:53 GMT -5
Well it's time for the update. I finished the rails, nose and tail blocks and sanded the board out. I then got the seal coat on for a picture for you guys. The hollow balsa rails turned out nice. The balsa is great to work with just be sure to wear a mask when sanding. I will seal the Paulowina bottom next then it's time for glass.
Chad this 11 foot SUP is a sweet design, you should get 2 thumbs up!!! I like the rocker and the nose and tail should make this board love big water. I can hardly wait.